Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Golden Dinner for One

My splurge at Whole Foods yesterday included a handful of hauntingly beautiful chantarelle and royal trumpet mushrooms, a half dozen blue hand picked chicken eggs from free range chickens (that eat bugs, not corn), and some wild salmon among other things.

Dinner tonight:

Melt a tablespoon of good butter in a pan over medium low heat. Add a handful each of sliced mushrooms (I, of course, used my Chantarelles and Royal Trumpets) - slice the stems into coins and the tops into strips. Saute until golden and aromatic - not more than 5-6 minutes. 

Keeping the pan hot, add a little more butter and put in 4oz salmon, skin up. The pan was big enough for me to crack one of my nice eggs in next to it. Sprinkle both with a little rosemary and white truffle oil. Flip over after 2-3 minutes (or however done you like your fish and/or eggs). 

Plate some fresh spring greens, a sliced tomato, and top with the mushrooms, salmon and fried egg. Be sure to drizzle the leftover butter-rosemary sauce from the pan over the greens. 


HEAVEN. Wish I had my camera for a picture. Beautiful. And the mushrooms.....and that egg....I've never had yolk so rich or mushrooms so flavorful. Twas a good splurge. 

xxoo

PS - Two weeks Paleo and going strong. I don't miss packaged food when I'm at home, and when I think about dinners like what I just ate I don't find it difficult to pass up the giant cookie frosted with melted candy bars and topped with chopped up candy bars sitting in the break room at work. 
A cheap candy bar has nothing on the buttery earthy wholesomeness of real food.

No comments:

Post a Comment