Friday, June 3, 2011

Curry in a Hurry

So studying for boards is ramping up and I'm beginning to feel the heat - which translates to some awesome heat in the kitchen too! My friend Rachel is coming over tonight for a dinner & study date. With our ingredients combined..we've come up with this yummy (quick and easy) curry!

I've made a number of curry dishes, but I've learned from the origins of curry that it's best to make the sauce separately, then pour it on the food you're cooking (either while cooking or after as a sauce)

My improvised curry sauce:
- Cook whatever meat you're using with 1 cup of water. I used shrimp. Drain the water into a blender (make sure it was thoroughly cooked before doing this!)
- 1 tsp chili sauce (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 can coconut milk (regular or light)

Blend for a good minute. Done! Add flavors as you so desire - I don't include added salt.

I also discovered this freezes very well.

I used it in the following two recipes:
Curry Tofu Stir Fry:
- In a hot cast iron skillet: a few tablespoons of olive oil, a cup of thickly shredded cabbage (any kind), a cup of mushrooms chopped into big pieces/quarters, a cup of cubed tofu, 1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger. Saute until cabbage is tender. I like the heat on high and stirring more frequently to get a caramlized taste. 
Add 1 cup of yellow curry sauce and simmer 5 minutes to let the flavors combine. NomNom!

Curry chicken and peppers over rice:
Saute chicken breast strips with coarsely chopped onion and red bell pepper until cooked through. Add 1 cup curry sauce and simmer 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

The possibilities are, if not endless, many more than I could ever be bored with (and that must be a lot). 

Happy Currying!

No comments:

Post a Comment