[Note from the Editor: Change of direction - posts will henceforth be less a chronicle of personal events, and more a cataloging of sequential lessons based loosely upon my life experiences.]
Today's lesson in cultivating happiness and nurturing personal growth:
Everyone's favorite activity to hate. ^_^
Every Week: *Center for Disease Control evidence-based guidlines*
- 150-300 minutes moderate aerobic (it's hard to sing a song)
- 75-150 minutes vigorous aerobic activity (it's hard to speak more than a few words)
- 2 days a week (at least) strength training of all major muscle groups
*shoulders, arms, back, chest, belly, hips, legs
Try: weights, yoga, climbing, resistance bands, pushups, sit-ups, squats, burpees, pull-ups...
Remember: even 10 minute spurts of walking count - and add up!
More time = More better.
The benefits? Countless.
- Improved mental health, clarity, and mood elevation
- Reduce your risk of Heart disease, Alzheimer's, Diabetes, Bone fracture, Breast cancer, Depression, Fibromyalgia, Irritable bowel syndrome, Anxiety, Chronic back pain, Menstrual cramps, Constipation, Gallstones, Eczema, Varicose veins, Asthma, Chemotherapy side effects, High blood pressure, High cholesterol.....
- Boost your body's natural ability to heal and fight disease
FYI: *Data from the CDC, 2009*
Notice something? Almost ALL of these are reduced with exercise! This means increased life expectancy.
Really? You need more reasons?
Better sex! Better sleep!
Exercise is literally the Fountain of Youth. So why on Earth would you not want to do the one thing guaranteed to make you healthier, stronger, more beautiful, and (most importantly) more happy??
Take a hint from Nike and Just Do It. (LOVE this ad)