Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What makes You happy?

The greatest service we can each do ourselves is to bring life back to basics sometimes. It is so painfully easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the day-to-day, and even easier to let our minds race and wander and fill until we wonder why the room is spinning. These past few weeks I've been working very hard to bring life back to it's foundation - concerns about the direction I'm going and whether or not I'm doing this for the right reasons have had me pretty uptight. I've had a tremendous unspoken fear of making decisions based on what I want to do versus what everyone else wants or thinks is a good idea. What if I'm wrong? What if I change my mind? Surely a consensus is better than a single vote! The more opinions the better! ....Wrong. In the end, I realized I'd rather do what I want, and maybe decide later I'd rather do something else but deal with that if it comes, than live my life for everyone (or anyone) else. No one is as invested in your life as you are. And no one else has to live it. Don't clog up your greatest tool with speculation and worry. Step back, try to see the mural instead of a single brick, and remember who it is you're trying to be and what you're working for.

I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. - Mark Twain

We all have the exact same amount of time each day. What do you do with yours?


Cook a new recipe. Read a new book. Paint something. Build something. Play an instrument. Go for a walk (outside). Learn the names of sidewalk weeds. Watch the sun rise. Listen to your breath for five minutes. Call a friend you haven't talked to in a while. Write a letter. Contemplate a poem. Balance your budget. Pick wildflowers. Have a picnic. Play a boardgame. Play tag. Go to a yard sale. Visit a farm. Make waffles. Go to a library. Go to a store you've never been to. Have a movie night. Have a sleepover. Fly a kite. .......

No comments:

Post a Comment